Thursday, April 2, 2009

I seeeee you...

Every once in a while, I have a craving to make something different, something good. Sometimes that craving includes something sweet.
One day I decide to make this. (Pumpkin Tiramisu)
No big deal, right?
Well... not to a normal person who lives in a normal city.

I live in R-field.
Don't get me wrong, I love R-field and think it is a fabulous place to live.
I really do love it here.

But the choice of "specialty ingredients" is pathetic.
And I am not joking.

I thought, I should be able to find everything in the recipe with a few substitutions.
 (I am REALLY good at substitution thanks to small town po-dunk)

What store does not have lady fingers?
Is it a weird "specialty ingredient"? I don't think so.
Apparently I was wrong.

We went to ALL three stores in town.

Nothing.

No big deal. Vanilla wafers did the job.

My mom and I shared the frustration one day as we were chatting. No lady fingers to be found in R-field. Annoying.

Here we are. Today.
I was shopping for some Rigatoni noodles to make this (Pasta Pie)
and lo and behold what do I find?!?!

This can't be real!
Are my eyes deceiving me?
LADY FINGERS!
(sorry for the blurry pictures, I was too excited)
Smack dab in the middle of the PASTA and SPAGHETTI SAUCE.
Perfect.
That is EXACTLY where I would look to find them.


(funny thing - I don't even like them)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

ok that is funny you would find them in the PASTA ISLE!!! WTH? how funny, all in all i am glad you found them!

cant wait to see you this weekend!!

pullinforfun said...

I know how you feel... we live up here where all we have is wal-mart and 2 safeway stores.... I was trying to find shallots and couldn't (granted, they had them but both safeway stores were sold-out) I too do get bugged by living in a small town sometimes, but 95% of the time I love it.

Tiffany said...

I've been there, too. About 2 weeks ago I needed saffron for a recipe but neither the two stores in town nor the store in the neighboring town had any. How can we let our inner chef shine without all the ingredients we need? Oh, the hardships of small town life...

Lovely Lisa said...

Totally biting my tongue on the R-field thing. :p

That being said, tiramisu sounds calorie-laden... and fabulous!

Amy said...

some foods you can order online! we love sushi. I don't love my rice options at the stores available to me. I also don't love the seaweed available to me. So I order it. My wasabi too. Anyway, you can those kinds of things! Yahoo!

marci said...

Oh gosh, that sucks! I hate when that happens! I'm sure that is what Vernal would have been like for me, if I moved out there. LOL.

Heather said...

I hate coffee AND pumpkin so the thought of pumpkin tiramisu-ewwwwwww lol. The pasta pie looks scrummy though, must try that one day!

Over here the supermarkets have an 'imports' section which has ingredients mostly from the UK and Italy...though those biscuits are found in the biscuit section funnily enough!

dust and kam said...

Ew. I hate/don't drink coffee either, that is why I tried this one. No coffee, I just used white grape juice. :)

Anonymous said...

YES!!!! I am soooo happy!! I have looked for those Lady Finger(cookies) for years! My mother use to get them in Mexico. Well when I went to Mexico to find them. No such Luck. I have seen several recipies in Taste of home that include the Lady Fingers. They are a really light and good cookie that melts in your mouth. They are not tooo sweet either.
Thanks Kamie,
I love ya,
MOM

Aubrey said...

"small town po-dunk" you make me laugh Kam.

Your stores sound like how ours are organized. If you ever come up to Utah County, don't go to Albertsons. They have breads and veggies on one side, and eggs and milk on another. It doesn't make sense to me.

And the pics aren't blurry, they crack me up!

Liz said...

Oh, that's too funny! Sometimes I have to ask a store associate where something is. They put things in the wierdest places!!

April JoAnne said...

hahahaha you should ask around and figure out who stocks the shelves at that grocery store.

Ruth said...

Ah Albertsons, illogically shelves items since 1939. At least they don't rip you off as badly in R-field as they do in B-town.

Unknown said...

SO hilarious...is it cuz they are "italian"? SO funny...a weird place for a cookie.