Friday, October 9, 2009

It's moments like these...

that make me feel my age.

Honestly, I don't feel old.
Not one bit.

Until I get comments like this.

I have been subbing at a middle school for a week or so. My middle school that I attended. It wasn't THAT long ago.

Student 1: My backpack is so heavy. *whine, whine, whine*
Me: Do you have all your books in there? What about your locker?
Student 1: My locker only has one pencil and a notebook in it.
Me: I remember when I went to Middle School here. We weren't allowed to bring our backpacks to class and we had a schedule when we could go to our locker. (anyone else remember that? Boys only this break and girls the next. lol Or am I dreaming)
Student 2: This school that THAT old?!?!?
Me: Um... *speechless* just how old do you think I am?
Student 3: She is only in her 20's.
Me: Thank You! But I'm not in my 20's. Did make me feel better though.
Student 3: How old are you? 30?
Me: Yep.
Student 3: Oh, you're my moms age.

9 comments:

Adamo said...

Oh...that is funny. Sad (because I can relate to those "I feel old when..." situations) but funny.

Ruth said...

You are NOT crazy. That's totally how it was. I find myself thinking similar thoughts when I tell kids here about having a locker and bringing my books too and from school if I had homework. These spoiled kids have textbooks they leave at home and the teachers have a set that stays in the classroom. All they have to carry is a binder and a pencil, yet they still whine. Whippersnappers!

I know it will really hit me when the students in my children's classes belong to the kids in high school now. But I'll just tell myself it's not me that's weird, its the parents who had babies at 16.

Lovely Lisa said...

Good grief! How old was that kid if he/she is has a 30-year-old mom?

My 18-year-old sister told me not too long ago that I don't remember what it's like to be in love. That was classic. :)

Lovely Lisa said...

Doh. Sorry about the extraneous "is."

Carrie and Rodney said...

That's why I love to teach Kindergarten. Since they truly have no concept of age I don't feel bad when they think I am 50 or something like that because there is another kid who then thinks I am 16. I do feel old when they say things like "my mom is old. She is 25." If they only knew what they were saying!!

Heather said...

LOL-that totally made my day! *shouldnt be laughing so hard at your expense, especially as I'm older than you*

Unknown said...

I remember being that age, and thinking the teachers were really OLD. Then I was at the Dr. office, and ran into a teach from school...I was like dude, we are like the same age! LOL

Unknown said...

Ouch!! When a "youngun" asks me if I am old, or how old exactly am I? I ask them what they think old is, its usually 25 to 30, so I tell them I am 24, or whatever is just above old. Never let them know the real number. Its all about denial.

Liz said...

I can't believe that a 30 year old has a kid in middle school!! Of course, my mom teaches middle school and she's sees all kinds of parents.

Don't worry, you're not old. Here we just call it "seasoned." :)