He is so handsome! I love sweater vests on little boys! And the truth is you just have to endure. I hated church and went home crying and/or with a migraine every sunday from the time McCoy was 6 months until he was 2 and started to like nursery. It was really hard because McCoy was NOT a lap sitter at all and we refused to put him down to play or walk around. For most of the time also I was teaching primary and my husband was in the branch presidency so I had no relief of help from him. But once McCoy turned two it all paid off, because McCoy started to be really great during sacrament meeting and I rarely had to take him out. (we also had sacrament meeting at the end of the 3 hour block and church was from 12 to 3:30ish). I am sure it isnt that bad with everyone, but it isn't easy for everyone either. Goodluck!
so so cute! so the whole getting through church thing? you just do. you deal with it. at this point in life...church is not always for "us"...it's for "them". getting them in the habit of going to church, and knowing that it is an important part of our lives is the most important. they will get used to it...eventually. :) (a 5 yr old going to church for the 1st time ever because the parents didn't want to deal with taking them to church as a younger baby/child, is worse than taking a 2 yr old that has been going to church since they were a baby.) as for us...we *used* to do the whole *snack* thing at church for the kids, but we have found that it has created more problems than not, so we have cut that part out completely, and it works much better.
my oldest two were wonderful... they hardly ever cried or wanted to go out, they did just fine with treats and books! Even at a tiny age they were fine.... my youngest however it's better to stay home some times she is the kid that we get to church and I walk the hallways with her until church got out cause she screamed and screamed! Nothing not even treats will convince her it's cool to sit through sacrament meeting!
It is our time to teach. My little girl really struggles with being quiet, but I have learned that my example of true calmness is the best medicine for both of us...that and felt coins through a slot in the lid of a tupperware bowl.
He is so adorable! Honestly, I've been letting Z just walk the halls during primary the past few weeks...he's too loud and distracting for our kiddos, and I am tired of fighting for reverence after the Sacrament meeting struggle!
I've eaten every single thought I ever had about how 'my kid would never do that'...but I love it!! :)
No doubt! Church is rough. Especially since it's right during Zachary's nap (1-4 pm). Until recently he would actually sit in his stoller and play with toys or drink milk. His favorite toy right now is a box of four crayons - he dumps them out and puts them back over and over and over!
I thought I knew all the answers to church - make it more fun to be in sacrament meeting than out of it, bring toys they only play with in church so they are fun and engaging, let them play all they way, just don't let their feet touch the ground. Good in theory!
Our bishop wants our ward to be closer and has closed off the overflow area. There is at least 2 families in every row. It's horrible. We stay in the foyer - a lot. But they don't bring sacrament out there, so we are that bad family that sits in the back row until sacrament is over and then go out to the foyer. And I am a serious, SERIOUS clock watcher. Church has never been so painful. Good luck. :)
Church? Sean was always a really great church-goer...happy and smiley the whole way through. Ava tends to be the same way if she's held the entire time...she loves to be held. But honestly, Lyle fights with her often to get her to nap. I just got released from the library so I may get my own experience with her here shortly. I don't typically watch her during Sacrament Meeting because I'm playing the organ. I agree with several of the other Moms though...at this point in their lives we go for them to learn that we are consistent and we don't just "not go" because we don't feel like it or it's too hard...that's how we know we make it through the refiner's fire...we plug along and in the end we are gold!
I swear Gage look JUST like you in one of those photos. It's meant to be.
Church is hard. Enough said. I pray that July comes quickly and that he'll think nursery is the best thing ever. It's too hard when we both teach at the same time.
10 comments:
He is so handsome! I love sweater vests on little boys! And the truth is you just have to endure. I hated church and went home crying and/or with a migraine every sunday from the time McCoy was 6 months until he was 2 and started to like nursery. It was really hard because McCoy was NOT a lap sitter at all and we refused to put him down to play or walk around. For most of the time also I was teaching primary and my husband was in the branch presidency so I had no relief of help from him. But once McCoy turned two it all paid off, because McCoy started to be really great during sacrament meeting and I rarely had to take him out. (we also had sacrament meeting at the end of the 3 hour block and church was from 12 to 3:30ish). I am sure it isnt that bad with everyone, but it isn't easy for everyone either. Goodluck!
so so cute! so the whole getting through church thing? you just do. you deal with it. at this point in life...church is not always for "us"...it's for "them". getting them in the habit of going to church, and knowing that it is an important part of our lives is the most important. they will get used to it...eventually. :) (a 5 yr old going to church for the 1st time ever because the parents didn't want to deal with taking them to church as a younger baby/child, is worse than taking a 2 yr old that has been going to church since they were a baby.)
as for us...we *used* to do the whole *snack* thing at church for the kids, but we have found that it has created more problems than not, so we have cut that part out completely, and it works much better.
my oldest two were wonderful... they hardly ever cried or wanted to go out, they did just fine with treats and books! Even at a tiny age they were fine.... my youngest however it's better to stay home some times she is the kid that we get to church and I walk the hallways with her until church got out cause she screamed and screamed! Nothing not even treats will convince her it's cool to sit through sacrament meeting!
It is our time to teach. My little girl really struggles with being quiet, but I have learned that my example of true calmness is the best medicine for both of us...that and felt coins through a slot in the lid of a tupperware bowl.
He is so adorable! Honestly, I've been letting Z just walk the halls during primary the past few weeks...he's too loud and distracting for our kiddos, and I am tired of fighting for reverence after the Sacrament meeting struggle!
I've eaten every single thought I ever had about how 'my kid would never do that'...but I love it!! :)
I love church clothes for little kids! They are always cute!
No doubt! Church is rough. Especially since it's right during Zachary's nap (1-4 pm). Until recently he would actually sit in his stoller and play with toys or drink milk. His favorite toy right now is a box of four crayons - he dumps them out and puts them back over and over and over!
I thought I knew all the answers to church - make it more fun to be in sacrament meeting than out of it, bring toys they only play with in church so they are fun and engaging, let them play all they way, just don't let their feet touch the ground. Good in theory!
Our bishop wants our ward to be closer and has closed off the overflow area. There is at least 2 families in every row. It's horrible. We stay in the foyer - a lot. But they don't bring sacrament out there, so we are that bad family that sits in the back row until sacrament is over and then go out to the foyer. And I am a serious, SERIOUS clock watcher. Church has never been so painful. Good luck. :)
Oh, he's adorable! Sweater vests are da bomb!
Church? Sean was always a really great church-goer...happy and smiley the whole way through. Ava tends to be the same way if she's held the entire time...she loves to be held. But honestly, Lyle fights with her often to get her to nap. I just got released from the library so I may get my own experience with her here shortly. I don't typically watch her during Sacrament Meeting because I'm playing the organ. I agree with several of the other Moms though...at this point in their lives we go for them to learn that we are consistent and we don't just "not go" because we don't feel like it or it's too hard...that's how we know we make it through the refiner's fire...we plug along and in the end we are gold!
I swear Gage look JUST like you in one of those photos. It's meant to be.
Church is hard. Enough said. I pray that July comes quickly and that he'll think nursery is the best thing ever. It's too hard when we both teach at the same time.
Post a Comment