It's back-to-school time again. So if you're about to send your kid off to college with a new computer, here are some reasons to make that computer a Mac:
1. Issues are the last things a kid needs at college and Macs have fewer issues with viruses, malware, and icky stuff like that.
It has also been my experience that Macs have fewer issues with almost everything else, as well. This was my daughter's first year away at college and she required technical help from me only once.
2. Most Macs sold today have a built-in video camera and iChat software. So it's easy to communicate by video, audio, or even plain old text chat. Of course this assumes that you have a Mac of relatively recent vintage.
3. Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) includes easy-as-pie remote screen sharing that lets you see and control your student's Mac from anywhere in the world. So, if your kid calls you up, frantic because Microsoft Word has disappeared from the Dock, you can take over the screen and fix it in just a few seconds.
4. Every Mac comes with fast 802.11n Wi-Fi built-in so your student can join most WiFi networks in the library, dorm, Starbucks or wherever — with just one click.
5. A Mac is the only computer that can run both Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows; a Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo or other PC just can't do that.
6. Every Mac sold today can run the latest version of Microsoft Office and run it quite nicely, I might add.
7. Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage) is just $119.99 at www.Amazon.com.
8. College students (and faculty and staff members) receive free iPod touches or iPod nanos if they purchase new Macs before Sept. 15. How could you not love a free iPod?
9. College students (and faculty and staff members) can save on any Mac, selected software and accessories via the Apple Education Discount available at Apple-authorized campus stores and the Apple Online Store for Education.
10. Excellent free software for producing masterful movies (iMovie), dazzling DVDs (iDVD), awesome audio (GarageBand), and wonderful Web sites (iWeb), and for managing digital audio, video (iTunes) and photos (iPhoto).
11. Free personal shopping assistance is available at all Apple Stores. I've shopped in a lot of computer stores over the years and Apple Stores definitely have the most honest and knowledgeable staffs.
And last but not least:
12. Because Macs are cool. You wouldn't want other students making fun of your kid, would you?
Bob LeVitus is the author of over 50 computer books including Mac OS X Leopard For Dummies, and a Mac consultant, troubleshooter, and trainer. Visit his Web site at www.boblevitus.com; e-mail comments to doc@boblevitus.com.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Why your student should take a Mac to School. (or you)
I just had to post. You know us. Always ready to help someone by switching to a Mac. Just in case you were wondering.
I love talking about:
macs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Amen, baby. :)
You forgot to mention that a Mac is many hundreds of times more expensive than a PC. You can get your student a PC for school for under $500 but I dare you to find a new Mac that cheap.
Also, viruses. Don't even go there. The reason there are fewer viruses is because mac has seduced the hackers to think windows is evil and to target windows. That's kind of like China saying, "Hey. Attack Russia. they are horrible communists."
You'll never get me to swap to apple lol. I love my notebook and it does most of the things on that list like built in wi-fi, movie making, has the video camera etc and my hubby has this neat thing where he can connect remotely into any computer connected to the internet so long as they give permission so that's no problem either lol.
I just dont have a good enough reason to go swap to a new system!
Ha ha. I really wasn't trying to make anyone switch. It was really just suppose to be funny. :) But have fun with your PC. :)
I heart Apple.
I am definitely a Mac fan!! I love my new Mac!!
I do have a question for you Kamie - I love how you have your labels on the left side of your blog all different sizes and shades. Is that easy to do? Can I just use some cool blog trick to do it? :) I'd love to know! Thanks!!
All I have to say is Mac's rule and PC's drool. We have a PC an iMac, an iBook. I think the PC has been turned on once in the last 6 months, why?? Because MAC'S ARE THE BEST!!! (and worth every penny!!!!) lol
Post a Comment