Saturday, January 14, 2012

open adoption

When people find out that we are planning a visit with Korin, they are always confused?

"You can do that?"
"Do you want to do that?"
"I thought only kids in foster care could do that?"
"Is that weird?"
"Is that hard?"

In my book, open adoption is one huge blessing. Huge.

I seriously do not know how I managed to become lucky enough to be involved in adoption. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I am. I don't want to know the person I would be without it in my life. I have changed for the better. We have changed for the better. I witness and am reminded of the pure love of Christ every day. Every day. What a miracle. What a blessing.

I love that Gage knows his Korin. We may not see her often, but you should have seen him tonight when he finally made the connection that the Korin sitting at the table was the same Korin in the picture that he talks about everyday! (Of course when it came time to say goodbye, Gage kept tell Korin's son, "goodbye Korin!" Ha. He's still young.)

Gage has an amazing birth family We love Korin and her family. We have recently been in contact with Luis. I am so happy that we have to chance to know him! I am excited for the day we get to meet him. I love that Gage is surrounded by so many people that love him.

Today Korin, her son, and her mom came down to visit us. We spent hours watching the boys play. I loved watching them interact with one another. I especially loved when it was time to give kisses and hugs. Gage is SERIOUS about his hugs and kisses. Very serious.

IMG_3259

I would not change anything about our adoption. I love that it's open. I get so, so excited for our visits.

This is what open adoptions are all about.
IMG_3260

3 comments:

Grandpa Rick said...

I am so amazed at the way this adoption has worked out. Korin is such a strong person, and you and Dustyn mirror her strong personality also. It has to be very comforting to her to be able to see in person that the sacrifice she made out of love for a sweet baby, has created the kind of sweet love that that little man has brought to your and Dustyn. She has to know that what she has done, has brought so many blessings to both families. And for you and Dustyn to share that love with her is so sincere and Christ like, that it shows the true meaning of adoption and the great and beautiful stories that came become of the sacrifce that had to be so hard to make. I am amazed at the love that little spirit has brought to our family, and am so thankful that everything has worked out so well. We have great love for Korin and her family, and will always be grateful for her tough sacrifice.
Dad

Unknown said...

What sweet pictures. I love that Gage is serious about hugs. :)

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

I love that he is serious about dispensing hugs. :) And I'm SO excited you are in contact with Luis. (I'm assuming that is Gage's birth father.) Openness is such a blessing and you are such a great example to those who aren't familiar with it!