Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Poinsettia

(Yes, this is a crappy picture that lost most of it's color when I uploaded it)
So I got this poinsettia around Thanksgiving of last year.  It has done really well, until this last few weeks.  All of a sudden it is shrinking up and dying.  I water it the same as always and haven't done anything different.  

So I was wondering what anyone knows about Poinsettias.  Can they last year round or do they just eventually die?  Just wondering if I should throw the towel in and chuck it or keep trying.  I am thinking it's about time to get rid of it.  

Or do I just need to plant it outside?  Hmmm....  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know they are Tropical...maybe they need warmth and humidity.

Heather said...

Poinsettias are always at their best over the Christmas holidays then tend to die off. If you keep it after the holidays you need to fertalise it once a month. They dont like hot or cold or drafts and they like to be watered regularly but not drowned. If you live in a warm place (which I think you do) you can plant it outside where a frost wont reach it.

dust and kam said...

Thanks for the info. I thought that some people kept them year round and they bloom near Christmas again. But maybe I am wrong. I never keep them alive this long. I guess I should just feel good about that much and say goodbye. :)

Unknown said...

I am amazed it has lasted this long!!

Heather said...

Oh they can last another year, but you gotta do some prep for them to flower again...and I dont know what that prep is sorry lol.

Lovely Lisa said...

I was able to keep one alive for about a year. Of course, it turned green after a few months. But eventually it wasn't getting enough light and humidity, which (as Kim mentioned) they need a lot of. You could move to Mexico and it would probably be okay. :)