Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Dentist

So . . . I totally hate the dentist.  Well not THE dentist, but going to the dentist.  Dustyn and I recently switched dentists.  I wasn't sure what to expect at the new dentist, after all I have been going to my old dentist since I can remember.  We are talking 25+ years.  But overall, it was a good experience.  (I guess if you consider teeth getting ripped out of your head a good experience.)

When I got there, they had me sit in the chair (of course) and let me chose a movie.  That's right.  At this dentist, you get to watch movies!  So of course being the Tim McGraw fan that I am, I chose Flicka.  It is one of my favorite movies and I was excited that it was going to help me be distracted during this whole ordeal.

I decided to let them give me some sort of drug that relaxes you.  She explained it to me like being drunk and that I would not remember anything the next day.  Hey, that's fine with me.  Who really wants to remember dental work?  Well in order to take the pills they had to crush them up and put them under my tongue to dissolve.  Oh no.  This is something that I do not do well with.  Last time I had this experience was when they were trying to start my labor when I was having Hannah.  Let's just say... I puked.  Everywhere.  I was never quite sure if it was the pain or the crushed pills under my tongue, or both.  So I was a tad bit nervous that I was going to puke everywhere.

She put the crushed pills under my tongue and started my movie (they have those glasses that you put on to watch the movie).  The also put on a blood pressure thingy and a pulse thingy on my finger to monitor me through out the procedure.  They let me sit there at least half of an hour so that I would feel nice and drunk.  Nothin.  No dizziness, no lightheadedness, no sleepiness.  Nothin.  Dang.  He laid me back and decided to start numbing me.  He noticed the pills didn't dissolve much, so he had me swallow the dust.  Yum.  But, I didn't puke.  That is an improvement over last time.

He gave me a ton of shots (I'd say at least 9 or 10) which I was fine with, as long as I didn't feel nothin'.  Of course I didn't see the needles because I was watching Flicka.  That and I closed my eyes to make sure.  I hate needles.  I freak out over FLU shots.  Yep, pathetic.  So I got nice and numb.  They fixed my broken tooth first.  Since it is my baby tooth, they just kinda filled it in hoping to keep it as long as possible so I don't have to get an implant.  Which I am very thankful for.  I am NOT looking forward to am implant.  I hope that doesn't happen for a good 20+ years.  :)

He started drilling my tooth down to get it ready, and apparently it wasn't quite dead, so he fixed that.  Nice.  The filling to fix my tooth didn't take much time.  Then on to the real problem....Wisdom Teeth!  Ahhh....  I was so not relaxed.  The little $55.00  dollar pill just tasted nasty.  That's it.  I should have known better.  Pain killers/drugs do nothing to me.  When I was having Hannah they were pumping me full of morphine.  Nothin.  I think it was saline solution.  Or else my body just doesn't react the way it should.  :P  Either way, they just don't seem to help.  And I still remember everything about yesterday.  Dang.

So he started extracting my wisdom teeth.  It wasn't so bad... at first.  Then came the part when he tried to break my jaw in half. Holy Cow.  I honestly was waiting for my jaw to snap in half.  Of course it didn't.  Then on to the next one.  This one was even worse.  I knew without a doubt that my jaw was going to snap.  But it didn't.  But I was super tense and my legs even came flying up.  He stopped to make sure he wasn't hurting me.  Uhm...  no.  I am just waiting for the snap.  That's all.  So he went back to work.  Then it was over.  I survived.  They let me sit there waiting for Dustyn to come pick me up.  I wasn't suppose to drive with that potent drug in my system that made me make crazy decisions and made me forget everything.  Ha ha.  I'm kidding.  Maybe it really worked.  I doubt it.  Anyways, it was then when my mouth started throbbing. I was totally hoping that it wouldn't start until after the numbness wore off.  Wrong.  Ouch.  Then I got the worst headache ever.  It felt like someone had been trying to brake my jaw.  Oh wait...  Ha ha.  So I got home and laid down trying to get the throbbing to stop. I was hoping they would have given me some pain pills to stop the aching.  Nope.  So I just laid there wishing I could go to sleep.  Finally the phone rang.  Apparently they forgot my prescriptions, so they called them in for me.  Thank goodness.  So Dustyn went down and picked them up, along with a bunch of soft food.  I took one when he got home and somehow eventually drifted off to sleep.  When I woke up about a half of an hour later, I felt much better.  The rest of the evening went fairly well.  (Except trying to stop the bleeding.  But eventually it worked. . . kinda)

This morning...  I am sore.  Super sore.  Ugh... hate that.  And I have a horrible taste in my mouth.  Gag me.  But at least I survived and I still remember to tell about it.  Ha ha.

I am sure this isn't that interesting of a story, since most of ya'll have already had your wisdom teeth out (and aren't big babies like me) and know how it goes... but you get to read it anyways.  Now I am just wondering if food will get in the holes and how to take care of the nasty holes in my mouth.  Ew.  I guess it will all work out.

I wish I could lay in bed for a few days and take advantage of slothing around... but I am babysitting in an hour, so I guess I better go get ready to go.  There will be time to lay around some other day.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

all i can say is OUCH! I am glad my wisdom teeth NEVER came in!! I guess so much for the steaks on friday night right?? :)

Shae said...

One huge OUCH! When I had my wisdom teeth out, they actually put me under, so I don't remember hardly anything! The only thing I remember is a slight tug on the one tooth that broke while they were extracting it. I am right there with you on getting dental work done, though...not a fan. Fortunately, I have found a good dentist that is great!

Good luck with feeling better. Eat lots and lots of pudding and go-gurts!! :)

~Our Family~ said...

Oh you are so cute.. I love the wordings you use in your blog I'm not that creative.. I hope that you get feeling better from your wisdom teeth, I remember that but I wasn't awake they knocked me out for it.. Thank goodness... Thanks for giving me your email so I could keep you updated on my crazy family life... I look forward into getting to know you better...

sarah said...

mmm, one suggestion? the font colours a little hard to read :(

other than that, see, told you it wasn't THAT bad. :P

Lovely Lisa said...

I'm sorry it was so hard for you. The holes will heal up and your jaw will kind of fill up the space. I'm actually very interested in your story because it reminds me of my own. I was remembering just now that I got a tape (remember tapes? haha!) from Bradley, who was on his mission at the time, the very day I had my wisdom teeth out. He was being hilarious, of course, but I couldn't laugh because I still had so much gauze in my mouth!

Anyway. I hope you feel better soon! Have Dustyn go get you a slushy from the dairy... mmmm. :)

Lovely Lisa said...

I meant to say your GUMS, not your jaw. That would be weird.

Mostly Jessica said...

Yucky. Why do we even get wisdom teeth anyway if they have to come out? It makes no sense at all :(

Michelle said...

You babysat today!? Are you crazy! I would be vegging on the couch with ice packs on my face for the next few days. :)

Heather said...

As I was reading this I was thinking "OMG SHE WAS AWAKE???" No way would I have agreed to that lol.

As for cleaning your holes, you can do salt water rinses (or mouth wash) which helps a lot.

Feel better soon! *virtual flowers*

Carrie and Rodney said...

How could you be awake??!!!! That would have been torture. When I had mine out they put me under so I don't remember anything about what they did. While I was recovering I threw up lots and then I had a horribly sore jaw and tons of bruising. I looked like I had been beat. Hopefully you don't get that. Hope you feel better.

Claudia said...

Dang, girl! That is a LOT of dental work for one day! I don't mind the dentist myself, unless there are shots involved. I HATE getting shots in my gums/cheecks. Yuk. As for the dental implants...I hope for your sake that you never have to get them, either. Erin has 2. Let's just say it was a looong process. Hope you feel better (and get the nastiness out of your mouth!) soon!

Shell said...

I am glad it is over. I only had top wisdom teeth no bottom maybe that is why I only understand half of what I should. I think being put to sleep would be so much harder, trying to wake up and get all that junk out of your system.

Nicole said...

Yuck! sorry you were awake for all of that. Salt water rises are good. If you got one of those syringes with the curved spout they work great to keep that food out. Just be really really careful to avoid getting an infection. I got one in one of the socket and you know the way the flesh pits smell at the dump. That is what it tasted like in my mouth. This was way beyond bad breath. If you think you gagged from the nasty soft drink, it would be way worse if you got an infection. Sorry I hope I didn't totally disgust you. I am sure you won't have any problems and you will heal quickly. Good Luck!