It was so sad and somber feeling. I can even explain the feelings that came over me as we opened the door of the car and stepped out to see the Temporary Memorial.
There were all kinds of items and memorabilia that people had left behind in honor of Flight 93. There were coins, jewelry, pins, flags, notes, hats, clothes, jerseys, license plates, plaques, flowers, messages, and many other items. The guard rails had all kinds of messages and stickers and signatures. Head stones had been placed. There were a few three-ringed binders that had the transcript and final words from the flight before it crashed. The feeling there was overwhelming. Emotions were high. Sad. My heart ached. I had no idea it would effect me in such a way five and a half years later.
All of the items are left up for as long as weather permits. Once they are taken down they are stored safely until the Memorial is completed and they can be stored inside for all to see.
I found a website that tells a little more about what the permanant Memorial will be like when it is completed. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.honorflight93.org
4 comments:
You're going to have to change your blog heading because your life really is pretty exciting. Enough so, that you've got us all "glimpsing" into it more than we care to admit!!
That is a really different memorial. I'm glad you found it. Thanks for sharing.
You guys get more vacationing than any normal family! I'd really like to see that memorial. That is a pretty special one in my eyes. Those people are heros! How far from Johnstown?
Well we are on a Vacation! We have to see the sights! It is about 35 miles away I think. Not too far.
Maybe you should come out on vacation and see it! If I were you, I would aviod DC and Philly... just for your sake! :) You would go nuts!
I'd go nuts just thinking about having to go out there!!! Dave wants us to come out and visit and hunt with him. If he'd pick us up and do all the driving it wouldn't be too bad, but I'm sure we'd have to go thru the citys sometime..
If I could draw a PA elk permit????? hmmmmm
Post a Comment