Sunday, July 15, 2007

Johnstown Ward

This morning we went to church to the Johnstown Ward. It was really nice. There is only one ward here. It was weird to not have 2-3 other wards in the building at the same time. It was so quiet. I have never been in a quieter ward building. Not even in college. It was weird, but really nice. We just went to Sacrament Meeting. There were two speakers. The first was a girl named Ellen that had just graduated from SVU. She talked of it being an LDS associated school. I tried to figure out what LDS school it could be. I mean I know there are a few in Utah, Idaho, Hawaii and a few other places... but I didn't know about any out East. Turns out there is one! Southern Virginia University. I mean it isn't owned by the Church, but serves LDS Communities. I wish I would have known that when I was looking for a college!

http://www.svu.edu/

Anyways, she did a great job and I really enjoyed her talk. She talked about Service. It was something that I needed to hear. Now I just hope I can take something from it and actually apply it! That is always the tough part. I mean I hear talks that I need all the time, but actually applying it is different.

The next speaker was a 40 year old man named Brother Kennedy. He was a high counsel speaker. He had just moved to PA from Germany. I am not sure where he lived, but it wasn't in Johnstown. This was his first trip here. He had never heard of it before. But he also talked on Service. He talked about serving a mission and finding was to serve. It was a really nice meeting. I am glad that we went.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend at SVU right now, she loves it so far.

Adamo said...

Maybe it's something we hear about out east more than Utahn's would, since there's so much church influence there already. But I heard about it when I was first applying to colleges (you know, waaay back in the day. I know a couple of girls from my ward headed out there, and a couple more that were applying for this upcomming fall. The only downside...it doesn't offer the sweet discount that the Church endorsed schools (BYU/BYU-I) offer to members of the church. I remember it being a LOT more expensive. Anyway, I guess it was a nice alternative for those of us that weren't from out west--that there are other options (if you can afford it!)
~Claud

dust and kam said...

I guess so Claudia! I had no idea it even existed. Kinda funny. Maybe I am just out of the loop when it comes to LDS assosiated schools! ha ha.

Brandon where is your friend from? Utah?

I so would have gone there... well maybe. Okay, probably not. Ha ha. I still would have gone to all the schools I went to!